|Pennsylvania State University||University Park|
|West Chester University||West Chester|
|Saint Joseph’s University||Philadelphia|
|Robert Morris University||Moon Township|
|University of Scranton||Scranton|
|Clarion University of Pennsylvania||Clarion|
|DeSales University||Center Valley|
|Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania||Shippensburg|
|California University of Pennsylvania||California|
Pennsylvania is home to one of the top five highest number of recognized colleges in the U.S. With around 262 postsecondary institutions, Pennsylvania is also home to one of the nation’s largest collections of business schools. According to the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International (AACSB), twenty-six are accredited by the agency and dozens more are accredited by other major accrediting bodies for business schools such as the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) and the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE).
Nearly 20 accredited Pennsylvania business schools made our list. Most are AACSB accredited and many are nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report. Just a few include Fox School of Business at Temple University, Bennett S. LeBow College of Business at Drexel University, the College of Business and Economics at Lehigh University, and Erivan K. Haub School of Business at Saint Joseph’s University. Let’s take a look at what these and other accredited business schools in the state have to offer.
Temple University, Philadelphia
Fox School of Business at Temple University offers a 48 credit hour Online MBA Program that may be completed in as few as 20 months. Known as the “Fox OMBA,” the program utilizes a combination of “cutting-edge social technologies,” HD video presentations, and web conferencing technology so that students may engage in course activities in any environment and at their own pace. While coursework for the program is available entirely online, students must attend one weeklong residency, which is held at the school’s main campus. Students must also “attend” live weekly classes held through WebEx. This gives students the opportunity to meet classmates and faculty in an environment that allows them to “speak with and see one another.” Students can expect to spend approximately 10-20 hours each week on coursework.
- Rankings for this AACSB accredited program are as follows:
- Ranked #1 Nationally by U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked #1 in the East in our 2016 Online MBA Program Rankings (top 2% of schools considered)
- Ranked #3 Nationally in our 2016 Online MBA Program Rankings (top 1% of schools)
- Ranked #3 Nationally among Public Schools and Colleges in our 2016 Online MBA Program Rankings (top 3% of schools considered)
Pennsylvania State University, University Park
Smeal College of Business at Pennsylvania State University (Penn State) offers an Online MBA Program that consists of 48 credit hours of study and eight Concentration options including Accounting, Advanced Accounting, Business Analytics, Finance, General Management, Human Resource Management, Project Management, and Supply Chain Management. While all coursework for this AACSB accredited program is offered online, all students must attend a five-day Orientation Residency held at University Park, Pennsylvania at the start of the program.
For attending the Orientation, students receive credit towards the degree program. The Penn State Online MBA is offered in partnership with Black School of Business, Penn State Behrend; Penn State Great Valley School of Graduate Professional Studies; and Penn State Harrisburg School of Business Administration. Rankings for the program are as follows:
- Ranked #2 in the East in our 2016 Online MBA Program Rankings (top 3% of schools considered)
- Ranked #6 Nationally in our 2016 Online MBA Program Rankings (top 2% of schools)
- Ranked #6 Nationally among Public Schools and Colleges in our 2016 Online MBA Program Rankings (top 5% of schools considered)
- Ranked #6 Nationally by U.S. News & World Report
Lehigh University, Bethlehem
The College of Business and Economics at Lehigh University offers two MBA programs that may be completed entirely online. Options include the Flex MBA and the MBA & E (Engineering). The 36 credit hour Flex MBA highlights global business concepts and analysis, cultural intelligence, organizational leadership, sustainability, crisis management resolutions, social consciousness issues, ethical decision-making, and optional business consulting projects. While the program does not offer any Concentrations, students may earn a Professional Certificate in Corporate Entrepreneurship in addition to the MBA. The Certificate is offered through VENTURESeries—a “one-of-a-kind executive certificate program that focuses squarely on new venture creation.”
Offered through the College of Business and Economics and the P.C. Rossin College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, the 45 credit hour MBA & E program is designed for students with an undergraduate degree in engineering. MBA & E Concentrations include Chemical Engineering, Manufacturing Systems Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering. Upon completion of the MBA & E Program, students receive an MBA degree with a Concentration in their chosen area. Both programs are AACSB accredited and rankings are as follows:
- Ranked #4 Nationally among Private Schools and Colleges in our 2016 Online MBA Program Rankings (top 2% of schools considered)
- Ranked #5 in the East in our 2016 Online MBA Program Rankings (top 6% of schools considered)
- Ranked #8 Nationally by U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked #22 Nationally in our 2016 Online MBA Program Rankings (top 7% of schools)
West Chester University, West Chester
The College of Business & Public Management at West Chester University offers an Online MBA Program that may be completed in less than one year, full-time or two years, part-time. Online courses are offered over eight weeks, with five terms are offered in each academic year (Fall 1, Fall 2, Spring 1, Spring 2, and Summer). Each eight-week term course is a full three-credit graduate course. Most part-time students take only one course per eight-week term while full-time students take multiple courses per eight-week term. The program, which ranked #55 Nationally by U.S. News & World Report, offers the opportunity to earn a Certificate independently or as part of the MBA Program. Options include Entrepreneurship, Project Management, and Business Analytics. The West Chester Online MBA is AACSB accredited.
Saint Joseph’s University, Philadelphia
The Erivan K. Haub School of Business at Saint Joseph’s University offers a 33 credit hour MBA that allows students to complete foundation, gateway, core, and elective courses entirely online. The program may be completed over eight or 15-week semesters, with each semester broken into halves. Students can choose from ten majors such as Marketing, International Business, Finance, Health and Medical Services, or The Data Intelligent MBA, to name a few. Sample course offerings Global Revolutions in Business, Sustainability: A Business Perspective, Excellence in Organizations, Business Analytics, Ethical Practices in Business, Marketing Strategy, and Shareholder Value Management. Program rankings for this AACSB accredited program are as follows:
- Ranked #2 among Catholic Schools in our 2016 Online MBA Program Rankings
- Ranked #3 among Faith-Based Schools in our 2016 Online MBA Program Rankings
- Ranked #12 Nationally among Private Schools and Colleges in our 2016 Online MBA Program Rankings (top 6% of schools considered)
- Ranked #59 Nationally by U.S. News & World Report
Robert Morris University, Moon Township (Pittsburgh)
The School of Business (SBUS) as Robert Morris University (RMU) offers a 36 credit hour MBA Program known as the RMU MBA. The fully online program offers classes in eight-week terms and students may select three graduate elective courses from areas such as Accounting, Finance, Human Resource Management, Information Systems, Management, Marketing, Sport Management, and Taxation. Per the school, eight-week terms help students focus on fewer classes at one time and “accelerate” completion of this AACSB accredited program. RMU Online MBA rankings are as follows:
- Ranked #23 Nationally among Private Schools and Colleges in our 2016 Online MBA Program Rankings (top 12% of schools considered)
- Ranked #66 Nationally by U.S. News & World Report
University of Scranton, Scranton
The Arthur J. Kania School of Management at the University of Scranton offers a 36 credit hour Online MBA Program with six optional Specializations including Accounting, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Healthcare Management, Human Resources, International Business, and Operations Management. A General Management MBA is available for students seeking a broader degree and Online Certificates in Supply Chain Management, Health Administration, Health Informatics and ERP are also available.
This AACSB accredited program features one-on-one interaction with professors and classmates via email, online discussion, and virtual meetings. There are no required residencies, so the program and all of its components may be completed 100% online. Students can expect to complete the Online MBA Program in just two years “at a comfortable pace of one course per term.” Students also have the option to complete the program sooner by taking more than one course per term, with advisor approval.
The Kania Online MBA Program requires just three years of professional or supervisory work experience for acceptance and does not require any entrance exams like the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT).
- Ranked #4 among Catholic Schools in our 2016 Online MBA Program Rankings
- Ranked #6 among Faith-Based Schools in our 2016 Online MBA Program Rankings
- Ranked #17 Nationally among Private Schools and Colleges in our 2016 Online MBA Program Rankings (top 9% of schools considered)
- Ranked #72 Nationally by U.S. News & World Report
Clarion University of Pennsylvania, Clarion
The College of Business Administration & Information Sciences at Clarion University offers an Online MBA Program that consists of 33 credit hours of study. Just a few required courses include Leadership and Organization, Quantitative Analysis for Business, Legal Environment and Ethical Conduct, Operations Management and Information Systems, and Global Environment of Business. The program, which ranked #81 Nationally by U.S. News & World Report, is AACSB accredited and it is a Top 30 Best Buy by Geteducated.com.
DeSales University, Center Valley
The Division of Business at DeSales University offers an MBA Program that may be completed entirely online. Concentration options include Accounting, Finance, Healthcare Systems Management, Human Resources Management, Management, Marketing, Project Management, Supply Chain Management, and Self-Designed. Multiple start dates for the program are available throughout the year including three 12-week terms in the Fall, Winter, and Spring, and one 6-week term in the Summer. Open enrollment is offered along with more than fifty courses each session. The cost of the program is all-inclusive and GMAT waivers are available for those who qualify. Ranked #84 Nationally by U.S. News & World Report, the DeSales Online MBA is ACBSP accredited.
Drexel University, Philadelphia
LeBow College of Business at Drexel University offers two Online MBA options including the Online MBA Accelerated, which takes 24 months to complete, and the Online MBA Flex, which takes 42 months to complete. Both programs are part-time and offer five Concentrations including Business Analytics, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Healthcare, and Marketing. The Drexel LeBow Online MBA highlights one required residency and an optional second international residency. Per the school, “residencies are four-day intensive courses exclusive to the Online MBA Accelerated degree program and are implemented to stress the importance of social interaction in the learning process.” Rankings for this AACSB accredited program are as follows:
- Ranked #22 Nationally among Private Schools and Colleges in our 2016 Online MBA Program Rankings (top 11% of schools considered)
- Ranked #91 Nationally by U.S. News & World Report
Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania, Shippensburg
John L. Grove College of Business at Shippensburg University offers a distance MBA known as the “Ship MBA Online.” The 30 credit hour program consists of eight required courses (three credits each) and two elective courses. Courses are delivered 100% online using a mix of asynchronous and synchronous lectures, discussions, and exercises, and they are taught in accelerated, eight-week sessions. Sample courses include Ethics and Sustainability, International Marketing Management, International Business, Contemporary Decision Making, IT Management and Innovation, and Global Supply Chain Management. The Ship MBA Online is AACSB accredited and it ranked #99 Nationally by U.S. News & World Report.
California University of Pennsylvania, California
The School of Graduate Studies & Research at California University of Pennsylvania (Cal U) offers several MBA Program that can be completed 100% online. Options include a General MBA, an MBA with Concentrations in Business Analytics or Entrepreneurship, an MSN-MBA Dual Degree, and an MBA in Nursing Administration and Leadership. Students in all options can expect to take courses in Accounting, Business, Corporate Finance, Economics, Marketing, and Strategic Management. The program, which ranked #152 Nationally by U.S. News & World Report, can be completed in as few as 12 months. California University of Pennsylvania is accredited by Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE).
Chatham University, Pittsburgh
The School of Arts, Science & Business (SASB) at Chatham University offers an IACBE accredited MBA with a Concentration Healthcare Management that may be completed entirely online. Required courses for the Concentration include Health Policy & Advocacy, Healthcare Leadership for Change, and Health Informatics: Database Management for Evidence-Based Decision Making. Although Healthcare Management is the only Concentration available 100% online, core coursework for all other Concentrations may be completed online or on-campus. The Chatham SASB MBA also offers the opportunity to take one course per term from institutions including Carnegie Mellon University and University of Pittsburgh.
Widener University, Chester
The School of Business Administration at Widener University offers a 33 credit hour Online MBA with Concentrations in Business Process Innovation and Health Care Management. The program highlights a leadership-focused curriculum that includes courses such as Leading Organizations and People, Managing Business Processes, Managing for Results, Organizational Behavior and Management, Leadership Presence, and Management for Change. In addition, per the school, “Widener is one of the first to join the SAP University Alliance. This alliance affords you the opportunity to master state of the art technology providing graduates with a measurable competitive advantage when entering the job market.” The Widener Online MBA is AACSB accredited.
Alvernia University, Reading
Alvernia University offers an Online MBA that may be completed in as little as one year. Just a few required business courses for the 30 credit hour program include Corporate Communication, Management Finance, Legal Environment, Managerial Economics, and Strategic Formulation and Implementation. Students may choose between electives such as Forensic Accounting, Entrepreneurship and Economic Development, Investment and Portfolio Management, Corporate Partnership and Estate Tax, and Labor and Employment Law. A required Capstone Course (Executive Leadership Seminar) is also on the menu. The Alvernia Online MBA is ACBSP accredited.
Carlow University, Pittsburgh
The College of Leadership & Social Change at Carlow University has several MBA options that can be completed entirely online or in hybrid format. Offerings include an MBA with Concentrations in Fraud & Forensics, Healthcare Management, Leadership and Management, Project Management, and Human Resource Management, and an MSN-MBA Dual Degree. The MBA with a Concentration is 36 credit hours and may be completed in just one year (full-time) and the MSN-MBA is 51 credit hours, and can be completed in about 2.5 years. Carlow University MSCHE accredited.
Villanova University, Villanova
Villanova School of Business (VSB) offers a 21 course, Online MBA Program that requires “one intensive residency” in the first or second semester of the program. The campus-based “Leadership Challenge” is a three-day residency that “provides an environment for students to engage in group work and begin to develop a learning community with their classmates.” An optional second residency is on the menu as well. Called “The Global Practicum,” this residency features an elective immersion in Dubai, United Emirates; Sydney, Australia; Milan Italy; Belgium and Poland, The European Union, or Shanghai and Beijing, The People’s Republic of China. A domestic option is available for students who are unable to travel.
While students are required to visit the campus once, all coursework for this AACSB accredited program is delivered online. Program rankings are as follows:
- Ranked #1 among Catholic Schools in our 2016 Online MBA Program Rankings
- Ranked #2 among Faith-Based Schools in our 2016 Online MBA Program Rankings
- Ranked #11 Nationally among Private Schools and Colleges in our 2016 Online MBA Program Rankings (top 6% of schools considered)
- Ranked #49 Nationally in our 2016 Online MBA Program Rankings (top 14% of schools)
Misericordia University, Dallas
The College of Business at Misericordia University offers an Online MBA that may be completed in as few as 2.5 years or less, part-time. Designed specifically for adult learners and busy professionals, the Misericordia Online MBA consists of 36 credit hours of study and four Specialization options including Accounting, Human Resource Management, Healthcare Management, and Management. In addition to nine credit hours of Specialization coursework, students can expect to take cores courses (24 credits) such as Information Analysis and Interpretation, Managerial Economics, Information Systems for Management, Marketing Management, and Human Resources Management for Leaders. Students may begin this IACBE accredited program in Fall, Spring, or Summer.
Looking for even more options? Consider the following programs in the neighboring states of Delaware, Maryland, New York, New Jersey, Ohio, and West Virginia:
- University of Delaware, Newark
- Wilmington University, New Castle
- Frostburg State University, Frostburg
- Morgan State University, Baltimore
- Salisbury University, Salisbury
- Stratford University, Baltimore
- University of Baltimore, Baltimore
- University of Maryland, College Park
- University of Maryland-University College, Adelphi
- Washington Adventist University, Takoma Park
- Centenary College, Hackettstown
- Montclair State University, Montclair
- New Jersey Institute of Technology
- Rowan University, Newark
- Rutgers University, New Brunswick
- Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken
- Thomas Edison State College, Trenton
- Clarkson University, Potsdam
- Excelsior College, Albany
- Hofstra University, Hempstead
- Manhattan College, Riverdale
- Marist College, Poughkeepsie
- Medaille College, Buffalo
- Mercy College, Dobbs Ferry
- Monroe College, Bronx, New Rochelle, Queens
- Pace University, New York
- Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester
- Saint Joseph’s College, Brooklyn, Long Island
- St. Thomas Aquinas College, Sparkill
- State University of New York at Oswego, Oswego
- SUNY Empire State College, Saratoga Springs
- SUNY Polytechnic Institute (formerly SUNY Institute of Technology), Utica
- Syracuse University, Syracuse
- Utica College, Utica
- Ashland University, Ashland
- Baldwin Wallace University, Berea
- Cleveland State University, Cleveland
- Franklin University, Columbus
- Mount Vernon Nazarene University, Mt. Vernon
- Ohio Dominican University, Columbus
- Ohio University, Athens
- Tiffin University, Tiffin
- University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati
- University of Findlay, Findlay
- University of Northwestern Ohio, Lima
- Ursuline College, Pepper Pike
- Walsh University, North Canton
- Wright State University, Dayton
- American Public University, Charles Town
- Salem International University, Salem
- West Virginia University, Morgantown
- West Virginia Wesleyan College, Buckhannon